| Killer Shorts Horror Short Screenplay Competition|
|Contact: ||Alison Parker, Contest Director|
|Description: ||Got a horror short screenplay? We want to read it.|
Our Top 10 finalists will be read by a jury of over a dozen literary managers, producers, filmmakers, and absolute horror legends.
Prizes include guaranteed industry reads, career consultations, Final Draft 12, Shudder subscriptions, a killer trophy, increased rank on Coverfly's The Red List, and so much more.
Visit our website for more information.
|Objective: ||To inspire fresh voices inn horror and connect horror short screenwriters with managers and producers.|
|Eligibility: ||Anyone 18 years or older, international. |
|Entry Fee: ||$5, $20, $25, $30, $35|
|Type: || Short Screenplay|
|Promotes: || Minorities, Specific Genres|
|Originates From: ||United States|
|Sponsored By: ||Software / Product|
|Start Date: ||7/1/2021|
|Submission Deadlines: ||12/17/2021|
|Winners Announced: ||April 25, 2022|
|Year of Origin: ||2019|
|Rules: ||1. Submissions are accepted via electronic submission only, between July 1, 2021 and December 17, 2021.|
2. Entry fee for each screenplay is $20 until the early deadline on September 3, 2021, then $25 until the regular deadline on October 31, 2021, $30 until the final deadline on November 26, 2021, and then $35 until the extended deadline on December 17, 2021.
3. Feedback is not provided to writers at any time during or after the competition.
4. Entrant’s total earnings for screenwriting for either film or TV, produced or unproduced, must not exceed $10,000 in the past 12 months. This excludes any prize money from competitions or fellowships and only applies to fund or money transferred in exchange for an option or sale of a script, treatment, idea, intellectual property, or other writing for filming. Money earned from acting, directing, producing, or any other film work outside of writing is not included.
5. Screenplays submitted must not have been previously sold or produced unless said sale or production was completed with no financial gain to the writer.
6. Screenplays must be a minimum of 1 page and a maximum of 25 pages. Any submission longer than 25 pages will be automatically disqualified. Submissions to the 1 page category must not exceed 1 page.
7. There is no limit to the number of projects you may submit.
8. Entries must be received on or before the deadline dates by 11:59PM Pacific Time, and submission fee payment must be made in full at time of the submission. All entry fees are non-refundable.
9. All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s).
10. Material must be submitted by the writer. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, with consent of the other(s). All writers must be credited on title page.
11. If a writing team is chosen as a winner, prizes will be given to the person who submits the project. Each team is responsible for dividing or sharing the prize money.
12. The decision of the judges will be final and cannot be contested in any manner. There is no score on a scorecard that guarantees advancement to the next level as advancement will be based on all scores in the competition.
13. Killer Shorts reserves the right to delay announcements for any reason. Delay may last up to but never more than 90 days. While we never anticipate any delays, such delays will not alter the standing of any screenplay entry and will qualify no script for a refund under any circumstance.
14. By entering the Killer Shorts contest every entrant is agreeing to all Killer Shorts Terms and Conditions listed and available before checkout. If you disagree with any terms you may not submit to the contest.
15. Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered material will not be allowed. Please proofread your script carefully before submitting.
16. It is recommended that original material be registered with the WGA or The Library of Congress before submitting to any competition, however we do not require registration.
17. Any winners may have their name, script title, and picture used for any Killer Shorts promotions or promotions of our sponsors or affiliates.
18. Former Winners of any Killer Shorts contest may enter so long as it is NOT the same script that won in a previous year. Any other placement in former years does not disqualify the script from being entered this year.
19. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
21. BY ENTERING THE CONTEST YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THESE CONDITIONS. You agree to release and hold harmless Killer Shorts, The Screenwriters Network, and its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, prize contributors, judges, screenplay readers, sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting the Contest, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s entry, participation in the Contest and/or acceptance or use or misuse of Prize.
22. All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders.
|Prizes and Awards: ||The Top 3 Winners Receive:|
- Circulation and recommendation to our network of Hollywood managers, agents, producers and development executives.
- Final Draft 12 Screenwriting Software.
- Career consultations with Coverfly's Head of Development, & a 60 minute - Career Development call with a Stage 32 industry professional.
- Waived entry to multiple other contests and festivals.
- A skull-shaped typewriter trophy, hand-sculpted and designed by celebrity FX artist Tyler Green (Syfy’s Face Off).
- Killer swag courtesy of Rue Morgue, Slasher TV, 1313 Mockingbird Lane - - Toys & Collectibles, Fright Rags, Waxwork Records, Ghoulish Gary, and Horror Pack.
- Shudder subscriptions (1 year, 6 months, and 3 months, respectively)
- ISAConnect Memberships (1 year, 6 months, 6 months)
- VIP Platinum Memberships on Screenwriters Network (1 year, 6 months, and 3 months, respectively)
- Plus, our 3rd Place Winner will receive 5 pages of in-depth analysis and actionable advice from The Script Butcher!
Top 10 Finalists Receive:
- Finalist Laurels
- Final Draft license
- Stage 32 short script coverage from an industry professional
- Plus, your script will be read by our panel of industry judges.
- Semi Finalist Laurels
- Stage 32 Next Level Webinar of your choice
- Plus your screenplay will be made available by request to potential producers and filmmakers.
Quarter Finalists Receive:
- Quarter Finalist Laurels
- Increased rank on Coverfly’s The Red List
- 1 free month of the Stage 32 Writers' Room
- 20% off of the 9th Annual Stage 32 Search For New Blood Screenwriting Contest
1 Page Script Category
We recognize that shorter scripts have a slight disadvantage when it comes to impressing literary managers, so we are thrilled to introduce the new ‘1 Page Category’, with prizes geared towards helping you produce a 1-minute horror short film.
Can you tell a horror story in just one page?
The Best 1 Page Script Will Receive:
- An all-access 1 year subscription to Stan Winston School, including their Course library by The Masters of FX.
- Final Draft 12 Screenwriting Software.
- A QWERKYWRITER® Best-In-Class Typewriter Inspired Mechanical Keyboard.
- Increased rank on Coverfly’s The Red List.
- 1 Year ISAConnect Membership.
- A skull-shaped typewriter trophy, hand-sculpted and designed by celebrity FX artist Tyler Green (Syfy's Face Off).
|More: ||This year's jury includes:|
Xavier Burgin - Director (Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror)
Gigi Saul Guerrero - Director (Culture Shock, The Purge, El Gigante)
Joe Bob Briggs - Film Critic, Performer
Scott Stoops - Literary Manager - Good Fear Content
Aaron B. Koontz - Film Producer (The Pale Door, Scare Package)
Daniel Seco - Literary Manager - Empirical Evidence
Julian Terry - Filmmaker (Whisper, The Nurse, They Hear It)
Chelsea Lupkin - Senior Programmer at Short of the Week, Filmmaker (Flagged, Lucy's Tale)
Glenn Cockburn - Literary Manager - Meridian Artists
John Zaozirny - Literary Manager / Producer - Bellevue Productions
Barbara Crampton - Actress (You're Next, From Beyond, Chopping Mall, Re-Animator)
Jenn Wexler - Filmmaker (The Ranger, ABC's of Death 2, Slumber Party)
Scott Carr - Literary Manager - Management SGC
Sophie Carroll - Programming Manager - ALTER
Jason Tamasco - Producer - Bad Idea Films
Matthew Dartnell - Literary Manager - Writ Large
Zack Zucker - Literary Manager / Producer - Bellevue Productions